SIERRA VISTA — Six-year-old Lavyn Gladysh, a Benson Primary School first-grader, will start school on July 21 with just about everything she needs for a successful year.
SIERRA VISTA — First Baptist Christian Academy is expanding instruction to include ninth grade, amending its previous K-8 curriculum and accreditation.
COCHISE COUNTY — Cochise County Superintendent Jacqui Clay welcomed a new accommodation school, the New Crossroads Academy, into the county with an open house for the education center on Friday, June 25.
Courts and Crime
- Man charged with attempted sex with minor in SV is asylum seeker
- Man seeking plea deal in fatal cyclist hit-and-run case
- Tombstone man arrested on multiple child sex crime charges; incidents could go back decades
- Accused killer of toddler must decide on plea offer or trial
- Tucson man seeking financial damages from city in illegal search
- Man accused of repeatedly stabbing workmate enters settlement conference
- Police arrest local man on sexual exploitation of minor charges
- State Supreme Court cites constitutional law in jury bias case
- Judge quashes Brnovich bid to use COVID cash for tax cuts
- Group fights tax-cut option on ballot
- Appeals court quashes Shooter rights-violation move
- Man sentenced to 10 years in prison for car theft with toddlers inside
- Legislature tells Appeals Court it has sole right to schedule open meetings
- Appeals court rules public has no right to jurors' names
- Police board moves to investigate certification of two officers in county
- Two killed involved in drug debt with shooter, officials say
- Defendant in murder case seeking 'universal plea,' attorney says
- Cochise County accepting requests for marijuana-case expungement
- Two shot to death in Sierra Vista; police investigating
- Auditors say they've found inconsistencies in Maricopa County info
To assess the loss of student learning due to the pandemic, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey called for school letter grades to put on hold for the 2020-21 academic year via enacting House Bill 2402 and Executive Order 2021-03 on Feb. 15.
BOWIE — Bowie Unified School District’s long-time superintendent, Wendy Conger, will be resigning from her position on June 30, at which time her contract is set to expire.
SIERRA VISTA — The Sierra Vista Unified School District governing board voted Tuesday evening to approve the 2022 budget proposal. The proposal now moves to the public for comment.
SIERRA VISTA − The Sierra Vista Unified School District discussed new Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief III grant allocation, bond projects and a timeline for addressing COVID-19 mitigation plan Tuesday.
COCHISE COUNTY — Cochise College’s Adult Education Department honored GED graduates from the classes of 2020 and 2021 in a May 27 outdoor ceremony.
SIERRA VISTA — Even with the past school year complicated by the COVID-19 pandemic, close friends Isabel Volk-Felix and Kylianne Chadwick get to cross the stage together as Buena High School’s 2021 valedictorian and salutatorian.
SIERRA VISTA — The Sierra Vista Unified School District recently provided updates on its COVID-19 pandemic mitigation plan, Summer Academy, initiative to bring more Fine Arts to the elementary education curriculum and spring sports.
PHOENIX — In his first three years of college, Ignazio Macaluso, a chemical engineering major at Arizona State, felt there was little support provided to students who, like him, live with autism.
We love our teachers. They’re working harder than ever this year and need our support and compassion more than ever. In Cochise County, we’re blessed to have some of the most dedicated and passionate educators in the state, and we’re all grateful for that. While every day is a good day to th…
SIERRA VISTA — Sierra Vista Unified School District recently launched its Creative Arts Learning Lab as an initiative to integrate more instruction in the arts for elementary school students.
COCHISE COUNTY — A new accommodation school and district, which will give youth who’ve dropped out of high school another chance at earning a diploma, is getting set to launch soon thanks to efforts by Cochise County Superintendent Jacqui Clay and Outreach Coordinator Ben Reyna.
Editor’s note: Herald/Review Media is continuing its in-depth series on education in Cochise County. This is the third segment of the series.
Sierra Vista Unified School District prepares to launch its district-wide Summer Academy, designed as both a summer remediation and enrichment program.
PHOENIX — Arizona students haven’t been properly taught about the Holocaust in recent years, according to a recent poll conducted by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany. Among Arizona millennials surveyed in March 2020, 42% could not name a single concentration camp the …
BISBEE — It has not been an easy school year for students, parents or teachers in Bisbee, as they bounced from hybrid learning to remote learning and back to hybrid learning due to the swings of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Editor’s note: Herald/Review Media is continuing its in-depth series on education in Cochise County. This is the second segment of the series, and the second of three parts.
After nearly a year since schools made the transition from in-person learning to distance learning, students and parents across Cochise County are sharing their concerns regarding how the prolonged time away from teachers and peers has affected their mental health.
PHOENIX – Public education advocates and leaders of the Arizona School Boards Association’s Black Alliance and Hispanic-Native American Indian Caucus gathered at the Arizona State Capitol Thursday to protest a proposed voucher expansion initiative that they say would further defund public schools.
Scholarships totaling $12,000 are being awarded to the 15 area high school juniors who have been named to the 40th annual Sulphur Springs Valley Electric Cooperative (SSVEC) Foundation Washington Youth Tour.
BOWIE — According to Bowie High agriculture, FFA, science and yearbook teacher Kelly Zamudio, for the past two years the Bowie High School biology and environmental science classes have participated in an annual science fair at Bowie Unified School District.