SIERRA VISTA — The Sierra Vista Unified School District Governing Board voted to continue the district’s mask mandate in a 4-to-1 vote at a special meeting Wednesday after a judge ruled Monday that House Bill (HB) 2898 — which prohibits school districts from enforcing mask mandates — is unco…
COCHISE COUNTY — Cochise College will extend and expand financial, mental health and career support services for students with the third installment of the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund III, a $39.6 billion component of the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan.
Courts and Crime
- Accused child killer pleads guilty to beating toddler to death
- Bond set at $1 million in Douglas murder case
- Judge denies AZ bid to enforce new abortion law
- Judge rules congressional OK needed for school trust fund maneuvers
- Man fatally shot in Mescal was son of murder victim, investigators say
- Cochise County authorities investigate Mescal fatal shooting
- Bisbee cat hoarder is charged with animal cruelty, police say
- Tax-cut opponents seek to have issue go to ballot
- Brnovich says Facebook assists human smuggling
- Forest Service to keep better tabs on cattle at Verde River, agreement specifies
- Former judicial candidate's perjury case will be heard by Graham County judge, notice says
- Douglas teen accused of murder caught in Agua Prieta, police say
- Judge bans communication between son charged with murder, mother
- Judge rejects claim that Senate audit records are not public
- Sierra Vista woman charged in fraud case still seeking settlement
- Former judicial candidate Sandy Russell indicted on perjury charge
- Murder suspect charged with conspiring to erase evidence from phone while incarcerated
- Former Bisbee fire chief speaks out on sexual harassment investigation
- Second suspect arrested in North Garden shooting
- Trial date for manslaughter case vacated after defendant fails to hire attorney
SIERRA VISTA — Three members of the public expressed their disagreement with the Sierra Vista Unified School District’s mask mandate at the Tuesday school board meeting.
NACO, Ariz. — Cochise County Sheriff’s Deputy Bobby Zavala is surrounded by a group of fifth-graders who are about to raise the American and Arizona flags on a metal pole in a tiny yard in front of Naco Elementary School.
HUACHUCA CITY — More than 220 children received free backpacks and school supplies through a back-to-school fair on July 30, organized for students enrolled in Tombstone Unified School District ahead of the first day of school.
The back to school event took place on July 24 from 9-11 a.m. The event started a bit earlier as we had several cars ready to go through the drive-thru to pick up their school supplies for this school year. Regardless of the bad weather, we had the Bisbee Police Department, Sparklight, the A…
SIERRA VISTA — Six-year-old Lavyn Gladysh, a Benson Primary School first-grader, will start school on July 21 with just about everything she needs for a successful year.
SIERRA VISTA — First Baptist Christian Academy is expanding instruction to include ninth grade, amending its previous K-8 curriculum and accreditation.
COCHISE COUNTY — Cochise County Superintendent Jacqui Clay welcomed a new accommodation school, the New Crossroads Academy, into the county with an open house for the education center on Friday, June 25.
To assess the loss of student learning due to the pandemic, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey called for school letter grades to put on hold for the 2020-21 academic year via enacting House Bill 2402 and Executive Order 2021-03 on Feb. 15.
BOWIE — Bowie Unified School District’s long-time superintendent, Wendy Conger, will be resigning from her position on June 30, at which time her contract is set to expire.
SIERRA VISTA — The Sierra Vista Unified School District governing board voted Tuesday evening to approve the 2022 budget proposal. The proposal now moves to the public for comment.
SIERRA VISTA − The Sierra Vista Unified School District discussed new Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief III grant allocation, bond projects and a timeline for addressing COVID-19 mitigation plan Tuesday.
COCHISE COUNTY — Cochise College’s Adult Education Department honored GED graduates from the classes of 2020 and 2021 in a May 27 outdoor ceremony.
SIERRA VISTA — Even with the past school year complicated by the COVID-19 pandemic, close friends Isabel Volk-Felix and Kylianne Chadwick get to cross the stage together as Buena High School’s 2021 valedictorian and salutatorian.
SIERRA VISTA — The Sierra Vista Unified School District recently provided updates on its COVID-19 pandemic mitigation plan, Summer Academy, initiative to bring more Fine Arts to the elementary education curriculum and spring sports.
PHOENIX — In his first three years of college, Ignazio Macaluso, a chemical engineering major at Arizona State, felt there was little support provided to students who, like him, live with autism.
We love our teachers. They’re working harder than ever this year and need our support and compassion more than ever. In Cochise County, we’re blessed to have some of the most dedicated and passionate educators in the state, and we’re all grateful for that. While every day is a good day to th…
SIERRA VISTA — Sierra Vista Unified School District recently launched its Creative Arts Learning Lab as an initiative to integrate more instruction in the arts for elementary school students.
COCHISE COUNTY — A new accommodation school and district, which will give youth who’ve dropped out of high school another chance at earning a diploma, is getting set to launch soon thanks to efforts by Cochise County Superintendent Jacqui Clay and Outreach Coordinator Ben Reyna.
Editor’s note: Herald/Review Media is continuing its in-depth series on education in Cochise County. This is the third segment of the series.
Sierra Vista Unified School District prepares to launch its district-wide Summer Academy, designed as both a summer remediation and enrichment program.