Week 30: Nehemiah 4-13; Ester 1-10
The Southern Baptist Convention’s executive committee voted Tuesday to oust four of its churches, two over policies deemed to be too inclusive of LGBTQ people and two more for employing pastors convicted of sex offenses.
In the New Testament of the Bible, there are not many compliments paid to churches, but there are some. Today we look at one of those and contrast it with an Old Testament passage.
Courts and Crime
- Domestic violence cases up in Cochise County; lack of services, pandemic cited
- AZ Senate bill would make genetic-abnormality abortion illegal
- Local attorney suspended for year due to unethical behavior
- Police searching for suspects in Sierra Vista, Benson robberies
- Woman accused of defrauding clients is released from county jail
- UPDATE: Three people found dead in apartment, including 5-month-old boy, in suspected double suicide, murder
- Murder suspect will be evaluated a third time to determine competency
- Republicans attempting expansion of voucher program
- House panel aims to restore judicial discretion
- Woman accused of fraud pleads not guilty, trial date set
- Local man charged with five counts of sexual exploitation of a minor
- Crossings by undocumented persons from Mexico on the rise since last March, Sheriff's Office says
- Winter weather wreaks havoc with work schedules, roads in Cochise County
- Trial date set for man accused of stabbing co-worker
- Cochise County Superior Court reorganized after judge retires, new one arrives
- Convicted husband, wife child abusers sent to prison
- Bill would allow community service for traffic fine payment
- Maricopa supervisors to comply with Senate election-materials request
- Two boys arrested for major destruction at elementary school, police say
- 8 Dem legislators seek investigation of 4 AZ GOP members in Capitol incident
Joshua Sieler recently returned from serving a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in San Antonio, Texas. As soon as he got to Texas, Sieler hit the ground running. He said, “On the first day entering the mission field I remember my companion had set up a gam…
BISBEE — The cleaning and restoration has begun on the glorious 106-year-old stained glass windows of St. Patrick Roman Catholic Church.
Love. It has different meanings in different contexts. I could try to make a list here, but suffice it to say that it can involve two people or a tennis score. Those are quite different. Today I am going to try not to focus on the tennis score.
The biblical book of Daniel is divided into two parts: the first six chapters are history, and the last six are prophecy. Each part has its own importance, and both teach us about God. Our concentration today appears in the first part.
On Dec. 29, volunteers from the Salvation Army joined with volunteers from the Sierra Vista Stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to fill boxes with food for local families in need. The food cost was provided as part of a recent $1 million donation from the Presiding Bisho…
We have a verse before us today that was not written specifically with a new year in mind, but it surely could have been. And it answers a different question. You might be thinking, What should I do in the new year in view of all the turmoil? Buy an uninhabited island in the Pacific and move…
Brian Barkdull, retired CEO of American Southwest Credit Union, and his wife, Gaylyn, retired Palominas Elementary school teacher, are leaving Jan. 4 to serve a 23-month mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as Area Church Communication Specialists in the Asia North Are…
In the Bible there are several accounts of Jesus’ coming at what we could call the first Christmas. Luke in his gospel focuses on the shepherds’ involvement, and Matthew in his emphasizes the magi, also known as the wise men.
Chanukah this year begins on Dec. 10 until the 18th. While the candelabra in the Holy Temple had seven branches, Chanukah menorahs — candelabras — have eight. What is the reason behind this? Chanukah celebrates the miracle of a tiny jug of oil lasting eight days.
Such a short verse in the narrative, but it makes a big statement! I’m thinking here of Acts 21:17 which in the New American Standard Bible says, “After we arrived in Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly.” It’s nice when the brethren receive you gladly.
SIERRA VISTA — Calvary Chapel of Sierra Vista has been buzzing with activity in recent days as groups of volunteers gather to help with a major packing project.