School is back in session in most places. As a way to ease the students back into the education groove, many a teacher’s first homework assignments used to be: “Write an essay on what you did last summer.”
What do you do with your time when the weather outside hovers between 103 and 109 degrees? For the past several weeks, it was and still is too hot to do yard work, as in mowing, pulling weeds, and sundry other outdoor tasks.
Courts and Crime
- Man killed in drive-by shooting, police looking for person of interest
- Drive-by shooting on Fry Boulevard leads to wreck; shooter at large
- Judicial candidate appeal denied due to timeliness
- Acquittal motion denied, parents of victim testify for defense in murder trial
- 18-year-old facing Class 2 felony charges after sexual encounter with minor
- Jury in murder trial hears interview between accused killer and detective
- Man enters plea in sex abuse case, faces up to 18 years in prison
- Officials investigating whether judicial candidate voted illegally; opponent files appeal
- Juror dismissed on opening day of Wilson murder trial
- Jury selection begins in long-awaited murder trial
- Census workers threatened by gun-toting residents, Sheriff's Office says
- Judge OKs five days for Arizonans to correct unsigned early ballots
- AZ Supreme Court rules Maricopa County election staff 'exceeded authority'
- Judge upholds state law that OKs agencies' disregard of independent findings
- Arizona caregiver, dad accused of stealing $53K from victim
- Restaurants wary of possible ruling against to-go sales of alcohol
- Former House speaker seeks immunity from Shooter lawsuit
- Arizona reports 496 additional COVID cases, 30 more deaths
- Man charged with sexual conduct with minors he met via social media, police say
- Judge rejects request to overturn Ducey's bar order
There was just the right amount of clouds casting shade as I pulled off on Exit 318, Dragoon Road. It had been awhile since I visited the area and I’d never ventured far from the interstate.
We enjoy watching a good love story. Well, probably not the guys. But kudos to those who do watch because someone they love wants to do so.
As the coronavirus pandemic shuttered bars and restaurants in March, Phil McDaniel’s craft distillery in St. Augustine, Florida, stopped producing bourbon. Then he realized there was one alcohol-based product he could make that people would still clamor for: hand sanitizer.
PHOENIX — From a traditional hogan in a remote area on the Utah-Arizona line, Cynthia Wilson spent much of her spring sourcing drought-resistant seeds, packing them in small manila envelopes and labeling them to ship to families across the Four Corners.
The monsoon clouds are anything but conducive to backyard astronomy, so observers have to be vigilant in watching for opportunities. We should all be waiting for a break in the clouds and our chance to catch one more look at the most surprising comet to have come along in quite some time.
The early history of Wells Fargo mirrors the growth of the American West. Mail distribution by Pony Express and the Butterfield stage line were assimilated by Wells Fargo. The company continued to expand with the advent of mining and railroad expansion, which brought droves of Easterners see…
A parade of solar system bodies comes to opposition this month. At opposition, an object is directly opposite the sun meaning it is lit “face-on” and shining at its brightest. It also means the object is in the sky all night, rising at sunset, reaching its highest point in our sky around mid…
In May of 1977 we moved into our first home in Sierra Vista. Being a young, first time home-owner and a totally inexperienced gardener, I was outside trying to figure a starting point to polish up a yard that had been long forgotten before we moved in. My new next door neighbor, longtime gar…
One of this writer’s favorite pastimes is people watching. Unfortunately, the lengthy shutdown of our country and the world deprived her of that pleasurable activity.
Darwin identified fifteen species of finches on the Galapagos Islands back in the 1800’s. Galapagos finches have been the subject of several research projects over the years because Darwin identified so much variation in color and morphology among the resident finch population. Do you know t…
Limoncello is a vibrantly colored digestif that goes down easy on a hot summer’s day. Although the sweet liqueur is most often served chilled in a shot glass, it is meant to be sipped slowly after your meal.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, Americans spend about 90% of their time indoors. If the experience of sheltering in a pandemic has taught us anything, it is the outscaled importance of that other 10%.